Dr. Shylaja S S
Dr. Shylaja S S is the Chairperson, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG Studies) at P E S University, Bangalore. She is also the Professor and Head, Department of CSE and Department of ISE at P E S Institute of Technology (PESIT), Bangalore. She completed her Bachelor’s degree from UVCE, Bangalore University in 1989, Master’s degree from Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore University in 1993. She secured the First rank in the university in her M. Tech course. She completed the ‘C’ level course from DOEACC and holds a Ph.D in the domain of Face Recognition from Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU). She has 28 years of teaching experience and 15 years of research experience. She has several journal articles, national and international conference publications to her credit. She has taught a plethora of courses and has guided several projects and research activities at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She is a member of BOS of several organizations, reviewer of conferences and member of many technical committees. Dr. Shylaja is heading two centers at P E S University, the Center for Data Sciences and Applied Machine Learning (CDSAML) and the Huawei Innovation Lab, facilitating research and internship opportunities for students and faculty members. Her research areas include Image Processing, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning.
|Qualification||Institution||Year||B.E||UVCE, Bangalore University||1989||M. Tech||Mysore University||1993||‘C’ Level||DOEACC (New Delhi)||2000||Ph.D||VTU||2013|
|Designation||Institution||From||To||Chairperson and Professor & Head, CSE & ISE||PES University (UG & PG Studies) & PES Institute of Technology||2019||Till Date||Chairperson & Head, CSE & ISE||PES University (UG Studies) & PES Institute of Technology||2017||2019||Professor and Head, ISE||PES Institute of Technology||2002||2017||Assistant Professor||PES Institute of Technology||1999||2002||Lecturer||MSRIT||1993||1999||Lecturer||BMS||1989||1991|
Awards / Achievement
- First Rank in M.Tech
- ACM best paper award for Women in Computing
- Awarded Best Paper for "Cloud Image Prior: Single Image Cloud Removal" at International Conference on Innovative Computing and Communication ICICC-2021
- Chairperson, Department of Computer Science and Engineering (UG Studies), P E S University
- Professor & Head, Department of CSE and Department of ISE, P E S Institute of Technology
- P E S University - BOS Member
- CMR (MCA) – BOS Member
- Dr. AIT – BOS Member
Expertise / list of subjects handled
- Under Graduate Courses: Data Structures, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Operating Systems, Database Management Systems, Data Communication, Computer Networks, Management Information System, Computer Architecture and Organization, Microprocessor, Digital Design, Electronics Circuits, System Programming, UNIX System Programming, UNIX Shell Programming, COBOL, Problem Solving with ‘C’, OOP with C++, Java, Introduction to Computing Using Python, Web Technologies.
- Post Graduate Courses: Digital Image Processing, Cloud Computing
- Special Topics: Computational Photography, Frameworks, Image Processing and Computer Vision, Matlab, OpenCv, Machine Learning.
- Computer Vision and Image Processing
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Cyber Forensics
Research projects (current)
- Word Embeddings on Kannada
- Detection of cyber - aggressive comments
- Facial Expression Recognition
- Facial Recognition
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, "Dimensionality Reduction Techniques for Face Recognition", Intech Open Access Publisher. (Mail extracts InTech Author Stats received on Mon, Feb 3, 2014: We are pleased to inform you that your paper "Dimensionality Reduction Techniques for Face Recognition" has achieved impressive readership results. The chapter you have published with InTech in the book "Reviews, Refinements and New Ideas in Face Recognition" has so far been accessed 3000 times. Congratulations on the significant impact that your work has achieved to date. The top downloads of your paper are from the following five countries: United States of America, India, China, Japan and Egypt.
- Shylaja SS, Abhishek Narayanan, "An Efficient Video Deraining Algorithm Using Bilateral Filtering on Adaptive Time Slices", IIIT, Bhubaneswar, India,19-21 December 2019 .
- Das, A., A. Narayanan, A. Abhishek, V. A Reddy, and SS. Shylaja, "A Novel Algorithm for Deraining Videos Using Range-Domain Filtering with Spatio-Temporal Correspondence", 2019 Fifth International Conference on Image Information Processing (ICIIP): IEEE, pp. 46–51, 2019.
- Bhandia, P., V. Yamnur, K. Rakesh, and SS. Shylaja, "Augmenting Deep Learned Representation Based Portfolio Selection With Predictive Shallow Networks", 2019 Fifteent International Conference on Information Processing (ICINPRO): IEEE, pp. 1–5, 2019.
- Das, A., S. Pai, V. S. Shenoy, T. Vinay, and SS. Shylaja, "D2ehazing: Real-Time Dehazing in Traffic Video Analytics by Fast Dynamic Bilateral Filtering" Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Computer Vision and Image Processing: Springer, pp. 127–137, 2020.
- Yashaswini S, Dr Shylaja S S, "Orientational Aspects of Objects in Text to 3D Scene Generation for Interior Designing" ICECAET ,International Conference june 2020, CS2002
- Vishwas, R., and SS. Shylaja, "Analysis of gait and face biometric traits from CCTV streams for forensics", ICICV-2020, 2020.
- Shylaja S S, Abhijit K G, Jayashree D, Mohammed Saifulla S, “Feature extraction and Comparison of face images using Gabor Filters”, JVIT 2010.
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, Akshatha Udupa, Kusuma A, “Comparative Analysis of MPEG-7’s Color Layout Descriptor and Edge Histogram Descriptor for Face Recognition”, in the Proceedings of NCIIR 2010.
- Shylaja S S, Geethu Babu, Akshata patil, Garima Srivastava, “Dimensionality Reduction using Gaussian Mixture Model: An Application to Face Recognition”, in the Proceedings of NCIIR 2010.
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, Abhijit K G, Jayashree D, Mohammed Saifulla S, “Efficient Retrieval of Face Images Based on Curvelets and Singular Value Decomposition”, in the proceedings of International Conference on Computing Communication and Networking Technologies, 978-1-4244-6591-0, pp. 1-5. 2010.
- Harsha Yadappanavar , Shylaja S S, “Machine Learning Approach for Smile Detection in Real Time Images”, in the proceedings of Computer Science and Information Technologies CITS, pp.1-7, 2011.
- Shylaja S S, K N B Murthy, Dr. S Natarajan, Nitin Kumar, Ruby Agarwal, “Effective Eye Localization using Local Binary Pattern”, in the proceedings of International Conference & Workshop on Emerging Trends in Technology, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 40-47, 2012.
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan,Anand Prasad, Atul Modi, Sanjay Harlalka, “Feature Extraction using Marker Based Watershed Segmentation on the Human Face”, in the proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics, pp. 1- 5, 2012.
- Goutham S M, Shylaja S S, “Super Resolution Techniques On Low Resolution Images For Face Recognition”, in the Proceedings of IRAJ International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Robotics, pp. 21-26,2013.
- Chetan Ballur, Shylaja S S, “Application of Local Binary Pattern and Principal Component Analysis For Face Recognition”, in the Proceedings of IRAJ International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Robotics, pp. 15-20,2013 (Excellent Paper Award).
- Vinay A, Shylaja S S, S Natarajan, “A Comparative Study of SVD and Its Reduced Variants for Block Based Face Recognition using Computational Model”, in the Elsevier Publication of International Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering and Technology” ICRTET 2014, Volume 2, pp. 115-123, 2014.
- Mohan Ramakrishna, Shylaja S S, “Is ORB Efficient Over SURF for Object Recognition” in the International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering & Technology Volume 3, number 8, pp 2783—2788, 2014
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, “Application of SIFT and Volumetric-SIFT for Face Recognition - A Comparative Study”, in the Elsevier Publication of International Conference on Recent Trends in Engineering and Technology” ICRTET-2014, Volume 2, pp. 922-930, 2014.
- Aayush Agarwal, Raje Neha, Manisha, Shylaja S S, “A Survey of Cloud Based Load Balancing Techniques”, in the International Conference on Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering, pp. 9-13, 2014.
- Ankit, Akshay, Avani, Shylaja S S,”Automatic Defect Detection in Mechanical Members using Computer Vision” in ICKCE 2015 - 2nd Best Paper Award
- Aayush Agarwal, Manisha G, Raje Neha Milind, Shylaja S Sharath, “Efficient Load Balancing in Cloud”, in the IEEE Cloud Computing for Emerging Markets, October 2014.
- Agarwal, Aayush, G. Manisha, Raje Neha Milind, and S. S. Shylaja, "Performance analysis of cloud based load balancing techniques.", IEEE International Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Grid Computing PDGC, 2014 pp. 49-52., 2014.
- V. S. Chavan and Shylaja S S, "Machine learning approach for detection of cyber-aggressive comments by peers on social media network," Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics ICACCI, 2015 International Conference on, Kochi, 2015, pp. 2354-2358.
- SS Shylaja, S Natarajan, KN Balasubramanyamurthy, KG Abhijit, Jayashree Diwakar, S Mohammed Saifulla “Aggregation of Gabor wavelets and curvelets with PCA for efficient retrieval of face images” in Proceedings of the 1st Amrita ACM-W Celebration on Women in Computing, India 2016.
- Lavanya P, Harshith G, Chiraag and Shylaja S S,”Pedestrian and Vehicle Detection for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems”, International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Information Technology, cochin, 2016.
- Akshay Varun, Prajwal Srinivas, Pramod V M, Dr. Shylaja S S, “Classification of Fashionwear using Deep Learning”, Fourth International Conference on Emerging Research in Computing, Information, Communication and Applications, ERCICA 2016 pp 605-611.
- Shylaja S S, Abhishek Narayanan ,Abhijith Venugopal , Abhishek Prasad ,“Document Embedding Generation for Cyber-Aggressive Comment Detection using Supervised Machine Learning Approach”, ICON 2017 pp 348-355.
- A. Das, P. Nair, S. S. Shylaja and K. N. Chaudhury, "A concise review of fast bilateral filtering," 2017 Fourth International Conference on Image Information Processing (ICIIP), Shimla, 2017, pp. 1-6 (Received The Best Paper Award)
- L. Jain, H. V. M. A, N. M. L and S. S. S, "Cloud-Based System for Supervised Classification of Plant Diseases Using Convolutional Neural Networks," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing in Emerging Markets (CCEM), Bangalore, 2017, pp. 63-68.
- Shylaja S S ,Abhishek Narayanan,Abhijith Venugopal ,Abhishek Prasad "Recurrent Neural Network Architectures with Trained Document Embeddings for Flagging Cyber-Aggressive Comments on Social media” ADCOM 2018 pp 40-48.
- Apurba Das, Shashidhar Pai ,Shylaja S S ,“ D2ehazing: Real-time Dehazing in Traffic Video Analytics by Fast Dynamic Bilateral Filtering” ,Third International Conference on Computer Vision and Image Processing September 29 - October 1, 2018 pp 127-137.
- K. Manoj and S. S. Shylaja, "Scene Classification with Deep Neural Nets Using Background Suppression," 2018 International Conference on Information Technology ICIT, Bhubaneswar, India, 2018, pp. 178-181.
- Lalith Narayan, Shylaja S S “Multi-Level Stemming Based on Rules of Morphology for the Purposes of Implementation of Word Embeddings on Kannada”,15th International Conference on Natural Language Processing,Punjabi University, Patiala, India December, ICON 2018.
- A. Das, V. S. Shenoy, T. Vinay and S. S S, "A Faster High-Dimensional Bilateral Image Filtering By Efficient Utilization of Color Sparsness Offline,"IEEE Applied Signal Processing Conference ASPCON, Kolkata, India, 2018, pp. 49-53.
- Anush Kini, Rama Devi P, Shylaja S S,”Toward’s the generation of Under Water Images using GAN’s”Conference on Artificial Intelligence: Research Innovations & its Applications, CAIRIA January 2019 pp. 15- 24.
- Hardik Gourisaria, Akhilarka Jayanthi, Tanay Gangey, Rama Devi P, Shylaja S S,”Generating Captions for Underwater Images Using Deep Learning Models”,Conference on Artificial Intelligence: Research Innovations & its Applications, CAIRIA January 2019 pp. 49- 58.
- A. Ashok, M. Guruprasad, C. O. Prakash and S. S. Shylaja, "A Machine Learning Approach for Disease Surveillance and Visualization using Twitter Data," 2019 International Conference on Computational Intelligence in Data Science ICCIDS, Chennai, India, 2019, pp. 1-6.
- Joel Kiran Kumar, Gagan Gopinath, Nirmit Shetty , Shylaja S S,”A Deep Learning Approach to Speech Recognition of Digits”, April , ICACDS 2019 pp. 117-126
- Kayan k Katarak, Rithvik Chandan, Sirisha Lanka, Chitra G M, Shylaja S S,”Sparse Reflectance based Fabric Catagorisation”, May AIDE 19.
- Dweepa Honnavalli, Shylaja S S,“Supervised machine learning for accent recognition in English speech using sequential MFCC features ”,May AIDE 19.
- Yashaswini S ,Shylaja S S, “A Survey on Challenges in Text to Scene Generation”, International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),Volume 8 Issue 12, December 2019.
- Das, A., and SS. Shylaja, "Video Deraining for Mutual Motion by Fast Bilateral Filtering on Spatiotemporal Features", International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), vol. 9, 2020.
- Yashaswini S ,Dr Shylaja S S, "Comparitive Study of a POS tagging for interior designing", IJCR May-20 0975-833X, https://ugccare.unipune.ac.in/www.journalcra.com
- Yashaswini S ,Dr Shylaja S S, "Constraint Based Interior Designing Interface for Scene Generation using Text" ,IJSER Apr-2020 2229-5518 https://www.ijser.org/
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, Abhijit K G, Jayashree D, Mohammed Saifulla S, "Efficient Retrieval of Face Images Based on Curvelets and Singular Value Decomposition", in the International Journal of Technology and Engineering Systems, pp. 114-119, 2010.
- Shylaja S S, K N B Murthy, Dr. S Natarajan "Feed forward Neural Network Based eye localization and recognition using Hough Transform", in the International Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Application, Vol. 2, No. 3,pp. 104-109, 2011.
- Shylaja S S, K N B Murthy, Dr. S Natarajan, Nitin Kumar, Ruby Agarwal, "Effective Eye Localization using Local Binary Pattern", in the International Journal of Computer Application. Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 40-47, 2012.
- Harsha Yadappanavar, Shylaja S S, "Machine Learning Approach for Smile Detection in Real Time Images", in the International Journal of Image Processing and Vision Sciences (IJIPVS), Volume 1, Issue 2, pg. 32- 37,2012.
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, "A Novel Permutation Based Approach for Effective and Efficient Representation of Face Images under Varying Illuminations", in International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA), Volume 4, Issue 7, pp. 77-87, 2013. (IF: 1.32)
- Chetan Ballur, Shylaja S S, "Application of Local Binary Pattern and Principal Component Analysis for Face Recognition", in the International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Data Communication, 2013 Volume 1 ISSN(p):2320-2084.
- Shylaja S S, K N Balasubramanya Murthy, S Natarajan, "Illumination Invariant Novel Approaches for Face Recognition", in the International Journal of Electrical Energy, Volume 2, Issue 2, Pg. 125-130, 2014.
- Dhananjay Rathod, Vinay A, Shylaja SS And S Natarajan, "Facial Landmark Localization - A Literature Survey", in International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, Vol.4, Issue 3, pp. 1901-1907, 2014.