Dr. Gowri Srinivasa
Gowri Srinivasa graduated with a bachelors in Computer Science from PES Institute of Technology, Bangalore in 2004 and then worked with Prof. Jelena Kovacevic obtaining her PhD in Biomedical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University in 2008. Since August 2008, she served as a Professor at PESIT Bangalore South Campus, India (now PESU EC Campus), heading the Center for Pattern Recognition. She has worked with over a hundred students at the undergraduate and graduate levels on various projects focussing primarily on the application areas of Biomedicine/ healthcare and Education and has designed and taught courses during the semester and over the summer in the fields of data analytics, image and video processing and analysis, machine learning, natural language processing, etc. Gowri has been a Member of the IEEE since 2005 (Senior Member since 2014), an Associate Member of the TC of BISP during 2009-2013 and elected a Member of the TC for two consecutive terms: 2014-2016 and 2017-2019. She holds a patent from the USPTO (2014) for a multimodal communication assist device that helps people who are blind communicate with deaf-mute persons.
|Qualification||Institution||Year||PhD - Biomedical Engg.||Carnegie Mellon University||BE – Computer Sc. and Engg||PES Inst of Tech (VTU)|
- Senior Member, IEEE (2005 - Present)
- TC of BISP (IEEE SPS): 2009-2019
- DOJ: Nov 1, 2017
- Experience: Teaching: 9 years 2 months (PESIT South Campus), 1 year 10 months (PESU), Research: 4 years (CMU), 11 years (PES)
- Coordinator, International Research Internships in Science and Engineering (iRISE) with Carnegie Mellon University
- Guiding of PhD candidates (2 scholars have been awarded degrees by VTU)
- Consultant (next generation of learning assessments and analytics) for PESU Academy
Expertise / list of subjects handled
- Data Analytics Aug - Dec 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Digital Image Processing Jan - May 2016
- Reinforcement Learning Aug - Dec 2019
- Past courses (VTU) Pattern Recognition, Data Mining, Digital Image Processing (CSE), Image Processing (ECE), Computer Concepts and C Programming, Information and Network Security, Software Engineering
- Focussed primarily in the application areas of Education and Healthcare
- Automated detection of retinopathy of prematurity based on retinal images (with Narayana Nethralaya)
- Application of AI to predict novel binding of small molecules to oncological targets for drug discovery (with CubeBio)
- Automated generation of questions and a quiz paper comprising different types of questions (for PESU Academy)
- Automated assessment of short answers (for PESU Academy)
- G. Srinivasa, “Active Mask Framework for the Segmentation of Fluorescence Microscope Images”, PhD Dissertation (2008), Carnegie Mellon University, ISBN. 9781468 149357, July 2012.
- V. N. Rao, S. Suresh, G. Srinivasa, "Gamification of a Visual Question Answer System", Proc. IEEE International Conference on Technology for Education (T4E), Chennai, December 2018.
- M. S. Shushmita, G. Srinivasa, "PoP: Panorama of the Past – A Visual Summary of High School History", Proc. IEEE International Conference on Technology for Education (T4E), Chennai, December 2018.
- H.V. Kumar, J. Nagaraj, M. Irfan, N. Maheshwari, P. Balusani, P. Chatterjee and G. Srinivasa, "PESUBot: An empathetic goal-oriented chatbot", Proc. NLP-2018, IEEE ICACCI, September 2018.
- N. Akash, M. Sood and G. Srinivasa, "Automated Answer Scoring", IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), Mumbai, 9-13 July, 2018.
- T. Dharamsi, R. Jawahar, K. Mahesh and G. Srinivasa, "Stringing Subtitles in Sign Language", Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Technology for Education (T4E), IIT-Bombay, Mumbai, Dec. 2-4, 2016.
- A. Kashi, S. Shastri, A. R. Deshpande, J. Doreswamy and G. Srinivasa, "A Score Recommendation System Towards Automating Assessment in Professional Courses", Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Technology for Education (T4E), IIT-Bombay, Mumbai, Dec. 2-4, 2016.
- T. D. Prakash, D. Rajashekar and G. Srinivasa, “Comparison of Algorithms for the Segmentation of Blood Vessels in Fundus Images”, Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Applied and Theoretical Computing and Communication Technology (iCATccT), Bengaluru, July 21-23, 2016.
- Sandesh B. J., A. Anthony, G. Abhilasha, N. Shaik, G. Srinivasa, “A Team Recommendation System and Outcome Prediction for the Game of Cricket”, Journal of Sports Analytics, IOS press, pp. 1-14, Apr. 2018.
- B. J. Sandesh, G. Srinivasa, “A framework for the automated generation of paradigm adaptive summaries”, International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, vol. 55(4), pp. 276-288, Aug. 2017.
- B. J. Sandesh, G. Srinivasa, “Text-Mining based Localization of Player-Specific Events from a Game-Log of Cricket", International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology, vol. 55(3), 2017.
- D. Rajashekar, G. Srinivasa and A. Vinekar, "Comprehensive Retinal Image Analysis For Aggressive Posterior Retinopathy Of Prematurity", PLOS One, 11 (10), e0163923, October, 2016.
- Patent title: Adpative Multimodal Communication Assist System US PTO – Application Number - 13/330,712 (Patent filed Dec 20, 2011; patent granted July 29, 2014)