Dr. Prashantha Karunakar
Dr. Prashantha Karunakar obtained his Masters in Bioinformatics from Kuvempu University and Ph.D degree from PES Institute of Technology (Affiliated to Kuvempu University, Shankarghatta). He worked on the Ph.D research topic titled “Crystal structure and molecular docking analysis of furan derivatives having pharmaceutical significance and determination of assembly of chains in protein targets”. Prior to joining PESIT, he worked as Research Associate at Indgen Life Technologies, Bangalore and Research Assistant at Vittal Mallya Scientific Research Foundation, Bangalore where he contributed by performing target identification, validation and docking studies of different ligands for their pharmaceutical significance. He worked at two famous international synchrotron facilities like DESY, Hamburg, Germany and ESRF, Grenoble, France where he contributed on automating the number of monomers in the asymmetric unit of protein crystal and analysis of X-ray data and resulting structure from UV induced radiation damage phasing. He has published more than 20 articles in National and International Journals. Solved two protein crystal structures of Histidine kinases during the stay at Hamburg, Germany. He is the recipient of the prestigious EMBO Practical Course on Computational Structural Biology 07-11 April 2014, at the European Bioinformatics Institute, Hinxton, UK with complete travel support. He has completed a course on Symmetry in the Solid State conducted by Prof. T. N. Guru Row at Solid State Structural Chemistry Unit, Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, India. He is also the Editor-in-chief for International Journal of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Strings Publications and Scientific Advisor for DNAskew Analytics Pvt Ltd.
26721983 Extn 344
|Designation||Institution||From||To||Assistant Professor||PES University||11/12/2011|
- • Departmental IQAC Coordinator • Organizing and coordinating various workshops, distinguished lectures, seminars at department level. • Board of Examiners, DSCE, Bangalore, BMSCE, RVCE, SIT, Tumkur, JSS, Mysore • Project Examiner, DSCE, RVCE
Expertise / list of subjects handled
- • Guided several academic and research projects, many of them leading to research publications for UG and PG students. • Delivered lectures on “Protein crystallography and hands on Proteomics tools” in the Department of Biotechnology, Garden City College, Bangalore, India on 5/3/2014. • Organized a workshop on "Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis" in the Department of Biotechnology, PES University, Bangalore during 03-2015 & 10/2014 • Delivered lectures on “Protein-Ligand Docking" in the Department of Biotechnology, New Horizon College of Engineering, Bangalore, India on 4/14/2013. • Delivered lectures on “Protein structure prediction (Secondary and tertiary) and Protein Docking" in National Bureau of Agriculturally Important Insect (NBAII), Bangalore, India on 11/29/2012.
- Crystallography, Chemoinformatics, Bioinformatics
Research projects (current)
- • Inhibition of Pebrine by targeting SPN106 and SWP26: An In silico approach - To explore the structure of SPN106 & SWP26 and its homologs by computational structural biology. - To conduct virtual screening and docking studies with a lead-like library to identify the molecules that will achieve inhibitory activity against SPN106 & SWP26. - To perform molecular dynamics simulation to understand protein ligand interactions of the lead-like molecules. • Predicting the Number of Molecules (chains) in the Asymmetric Unit of a Protein using empirical approach - To identify the descriptor to achieve accuracy greater than 90% for predicting the number of chains in the Asymmetric Unit of Protein.
- Oral • National Conference on Challenges and Opportunities for Chemical Sciences in 21st Century [COCS21C-2012], Karnataka State Higher Education Council (KSHEC) in Association with Tumkur University at KSHEC, Bangalore, India: In silico docking analysis of difurfurylidene succinic acid with cyclooxygenases. Karunakar, P., Girija, C.R., Krishnamurthy, V., Krishna, V., Jan 2013 • National Conference on Biotechnology and Society-NCBS2012, Kuvempu University, Shankarghatta, India: Determining empirically the number of molecules in the asymmetric unit of a protein. Karunakar, P., Krishnamurthy, V., Girija, C.R., Krishna, V., Panjikar, S., Tucker, P.A., Makam, R., Apr 2012 • National Conference on Recent Advances in Health, Agriculture and Environmental Biotechnology (HAEB - 2012), M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore, India: In silico docking analysis of piperine with cyclooxygenases. Karunakar, P., Krishnamurthy, V., Girija, C.R., Krishna, V., Vasundara, D.E., Begum, N.S., Syed, A.A., Apr 2012 • 40th National Seminar on Crystallography, Department of Physics, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India: Determining Empirically the Number of Molecules in the Asymmetric Unit of a Protein. Karunakar, P., Krishnamurthy, V., Girija, C.R., Krishna, V., Panjikar, S., Tucker, P.A., Makam, R., Nov 2011 Poster • Abstracts of the EMBO Practical Course on Computational Structural Biology - From Data to Structure to Function, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, UK: Towards automated determination of the number of molecules in the asymmetric unit of a protein crystal. Karunakar, P., Krishnamurthy, V., Girija, C.R., Krishna, V., Panjikar, S., Tucker, P.A., Makam, R., Apr 2014 • 41st National Seminar on Crystallography, University of Madras, Chennai, India: Crystal Structure of EthylNaphtho[2,1-b]furan-2-carboxylate. Karunakar, P., Krishnamurthy, V., Girija, C.R., Krishna, V., Vaidya, V.P., Kusuma, K., Oct 2012 • 4th International symposium on recent trends in macromolecular structure and function ISRTMSF-2010, University of Madras, Chennai, India: Computational approach towards analyzing cyclohexanone derivative for pharmaceutical significance. Karunakar, P., Poojari, C.S., Shalini, S., Girija, C.R., Jan 2010 • National Conference on Biotechnology and Clinical Research, IISc, Bangalore, India: Computational approach to design a potential inhibitor for HIV and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Karunakar, P., Sadik Ahmed, W.A., Ravindranath, B.S., Mar 2008